Thursday, August 15, 2013

Well sometimes you have to keep your mouth shut


So my husband called it.........When I got excited at our year long accomplishment and decided to announce it, Steven warned me. No good comes from acknowledging Rylan's health. 

Well after I got sick, Steven got sick.  Since we were both feeling better we were under the illusion that we made it without Rylan being affected. Well we could not be more wrong.

They say Mothers are usually very in tune with their child. When they are special needs you typically are a little MORE. Due to the fact that most can not speak you have to pick up on the little hints, whether it be a change in demeanor or change in breathing, something so small as the way they are looking at something, either way you know.

This morning Rylan woke me up, my gut told me he was not himself. He was extremely irritable and nothing was cheering him up.  We went through our normal routine, bath, treatment.  However my gut told me to check Rylan's stats after his morning treatment.  Around this time Steven woke up and did his morning routine. Only to be bugged in a few mins by me, I always get Steven's opinion on Rylan because I have a tendency to jump the gun.

Well out came the oxygen, his stats did not look good. His oxygen levels were low and his heart rate was extremely high. I was told before a high heart rate was a sign of pain, but the low O2? Not a good sign.

After about 30 mins on oxygen, and Madagascar on TV, my boy was smiling.  I went ahead and called the Pulmonologist. They told me due to everything Rylan was doing, we needed to head to the ER.

Steven went ahead and took off with Rylan while I lagged behind to take care of a couple things.  After I took care of what I needed to take care of I headed of to the hospital.  When we got there we waited around for ......hmm.......like 3 hours. The Doctor took a chest xray came back and told us it was clear.  She seemed at a lost, lungs were clear, ears were fine, throat was fine.......yet he needed oxygen. She went ahead and called the pulmo to get their opinion.  Which was an antibiotic and send us home.

So off we went, Steven went to fill the script and I brought Rylan home to take care of what we needed to do (as far as routine goes). 

Well all SEEMED well, got home and took care of what needed to be taken care of.  Rylan was happy, super happy.  He was laughing yet he sounded a little junky but I just attributed that to that fact that he had a virus.....or so it seemed.

After Steven left I went ahead and laid Rylan down to get him comfortable, so we can watch the Bears game. That's when you can say "shit" hit the fan.  Rylan all of a sudden freaked out not in a screaming sort of way but a grunting and pushing way. (it's weird I know).  I called Steven and my mom looking for comfort or advice and realized they are both 30 miles away and really cant help me.  Based off of what I was telling Steven and our past history we thought maybe he is impacted and trying to get it out.  So Steven recommends that I try to give him a suppository. 

Well I do.........that only seemed to make everything worse.  He was grunting and yelling, turning red, straining.......at this point I start to cry. I don't know what to do I feel so helpless.  When nothing happens Steven then recommends an enema, so I call the one person that lives close and is always there.......Rebecca.  Without hesitation she goes (thank you Rebecca!) and picks them up with wine....lol. Yep that's a great friend.

When I finally get him to relax I keep the pulse ox on him to monitor his heart rate. Yep even while he is asleep it is super high......unfortunately the 6:00 hour was rolling around which meant it was time for a treatment. As soon as I lifted him up to get a treatment Rylan freaked out again, when I started the treatment it was a whole new level so 911 was then called.

Once we got in the ambulance and were en route the medic tells me that his high heart rate is still VERY much there but then you mix it with his low blood pressure, it sometimes means SHOCK.   My heart hit the floor, I asked what would cause that and he starts listing a ton of things, things I would have no idea how it would happen. 

We get to the hospital Rylan is uncomfortable whenever he is moved.  They tell us that a stomach X-ray has been ordered.  When that comes back and it is normal the doc begins to press on his stomach and Rylan wretches in pain.......lay him down....wretches in pain....so she calls for blood work.  When she came back just a few hours ago...it came back with appendicitis.  

So the cat scan is set and off to our room..........Im exhausted and worried.  



No comments:

Post a Comment