Thursday, July 26, 2012

The clipping of tendons pt. 2

Well where we last left off was Rylan, Steven and I were waiting for Dr. Valencia to arrive. Around 1145 he did!




He went over the entire surgery with us as far as what he will be looking for and what he is going to do, then what to expect. Basically they were clipping the main tendons in Rylan's legs, starting in the quads then behind the knees and finishing at the ankles.
Dr. Valencia's marks on where he's starting


Once everything was made clear , the Anesthesia docs came in and told us what they decided was the best process for Rylan.


 Our big concern with Rylan is every time he receives general anesthesia there is ALWAYS an issue with his breathing afterward. He has a high dependency on oxygen and has atelectasis.


Being school is starting around the corner I REALLY didnt want to weaken his lungs anymore then they already are, we opted to take a different route for the surgery.

What we all decided on what giving Rylan a drug called ketamine through his g-tube. apparently the affect from this was going to give him a loopy dreamy feel. I felt bad because when this started to kick in Rylan was hilarious and I couldn't stop laughing at him.
Rylan on his drugs
Once the ketamine has kicked in they let us know they will be sticking a catheter in,

putting the epidural in his back and sticking the IV in. They were not going to turn the epidural on until after the surgery so they went ahead and gave him a spinal on top of everything else.


Off they went with my little boy.

Now this is the first time we have been at UMC for a surgery. I have to say they were phenomenal. There was a nurse assisting with the surgery and would call periodically while Rylan was in there to let us know how he was doing and where he was at, then they called to let us know he was finished and how he did. I dont wanna bad mouth TMC but honestly this is something that Steven and I loved, yet never had at TMC.

After a couple hours we were called back to see Rylan. I personally thought he was going to be awake and was a little surprised he wasnt. The nurse tending to Rylan told us it was because they gave him enough drugs to last for a 4 hour surgery , the surgery went quicker then expected. So we sat and waited for everything to wear off.






As he was resting they started to notice that his blood pressure was low. The nurse was concerned that as the spinal started to wear off he was going to need the epidural which was going to lower his blood pressure even more. So she called the anesthesia doc back over. He wasnt liking the blood pressure either so they gave him a shot of ephedrine. Which worked instantly.

at about the 2 and a half hour mark he was slowly starting to wake up. To help him out Steven suggested that we use the one thing that is GUARANTEED  to wake him from ANY rest no matter how deep....goofy goober rock. Which was a success.

When we finally got those big blue eyes opened we went ahead and gave him all the Spongebob his little heart desired. 

His recovery nurse (who was by his side the ENTIRE time....another plus of UMC) kept checking his toes  for movement. We had to be sure the spinal was wearing off. When we finally did get movement in his toes they started the epidural.  By this time we were nearing hour 4 in recovery and still had to be there 45 mins to make sure it was going to work.

It was starting to get super late by this time so Steven and I ran home, I stayed home while Steven ran back up to stay with Rylan.  My mom was there sitting with him during this time.

Flash forward to this morning.

I arrive at the hospital early so Steven and I could have breakfast together, Rylan was laying in bed fussing and dripping sweat.

Needless to say my mommy instincts kicked in.

I asked to see the nurse and figure out why he is in pain and then I ask for a sponge bath for him.

The nurse and the doctor both came in and repositioned Rylan. He seemed to be content.

which leaves us to where we are now....and I honestly have to say this is gonna be a tough recovery for the both of us!











2 comments:

  1. Hey Jenny -- I'm not even sure how I found your blog, but I've been a recent reader as of a month ago or so. Just wanted to drop a line to say that I'm rooting for you guys! My little guy, Lachlan, just got out of a 10-day inpatient stay for various things and I can empathize on the recovery process. Rylan is a champ and so are you! Prayers for him and the entire fam! -Jessie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It always makes my day hear people are liking my blog.

      Delete